Wednesday, May 22, 2013

On Youtube, there is about an hour long documentary about the savant Daniel Tammet. He goes through official studies to test his mental capacity. One of the tests is based on how he can calculate huge numbers in a short time in his head. After easily completing the tasks, the researchers had a conclusion that a logic part of Tammet's brain was directly linked to an image part of his brain. Thus, when Tammet was given any number or equation of numbers, Tammet saw the everything (including the answers) as mental images. For a TED talk, Tammet briefly described his abilities and showed the audience that not only could he calculate large products, but he could also see words as color.
I would love to see the world this way, if only for a single day. I find reading very difficult as I get easily distracted and I constantly look for something else to do while reading. If I perceived reading a book a looking a canvas of artwork (similar to Tammet) I think that reading out of a text book would be slightly bearable, even if it is slightly bland compared to a poem. Color always makes things more interesting. Though I've had unfortunately little experience with it, my ultimate goal is to work as a cinematographer. I feel that I work better with the medium directly than trying to visualize what I want. Perhaps the vivid colors in the mathematical and lexicon world perceived by Tammet would make him an exceptional filmmaker, but alas, his passion lies elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment