Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I couldn't write this last night (6/4) as I had a Midterm today. Anyway, one kind of has to really appreciate the history of film which includes the film stock that was exclusively used before digital recording. Though deeply tedious, working with the film stock opens up possibilities. I want to do animation at some point, and I can clearly see that 100 frames at 24fps is next to nothing and impossible to make out specific movements. I'm sure that working on 35mm would be much easier and could be more detailed than the 16mm that we used.
The technique we learned are only slightly applicable to modern film. By that, I mean that most of the film manipulation was so other worldly that it would look out of place in a Classic Hollywood narrative. However, these techniques could be used to express deeper thoughts and emotions in the characters. Confusion and disorientation could be shown through the scratching of the film stock. Magazine transfers and painting can show a barrage of color during an emotional point of the film. Though I don't know how I would use these effects while shooting the rest of a film digitally, the techniques we used are definitely a unique addition to any film.

No comments:

Post a Comment